This blog is a record of the life of a wagtail family in a suburban garden during the Spring of 2010 in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

22 September 2010 - Wagtail Eggs

We have been anticipating the "egg hatching" this week. We estimate that the eggs were laid about 14 days ago.

The parents watch me with their beady little eyes when I peep out of the bathroom window. I hope they are beginning to feel ok about these humans that watch them. I have been very curious about how many eggs there are and this evening I noticed that neither of the parents was in the nest. I grabbed the camera and "egged on" by Mark I slipped around the side of the house and took a couple of photos. Just as I dashed back inside one of the parents came back  to the nest and we could hear them telling me off for intruding. I sincerely hope they don't abandon the nest. 

Two eggs and a lovely warm nest. What a responsibility the parents carry. What an awesome privilege to watch the cycle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment